Electricity prices have increased 70 per cent over the past 20 years. Here are some tips to manage it.
- If your insulation is more than 10 years old, get it checked by a professional to be sure it meets recommended thickness of 200mm or more.
- Don’t miss 50% off home insulation with government funding for low-medium income households – runs out June 2018.
- Make sure vegetation is not blocking direct sunlight into the home.
- Reduce moisture sources and ventilate your home for 15 minutes, twice a day.
- Change to insulation-coverable LED downlights and fill any insulation gaps.
- If you can fill a 10L bucket from your shower in under a minute, its flow is too high. You could save $150 per person per year by using a low-flow shower head.
- Reduce your hot water temperature and install a hot water cylinder wrap.
- Use efficient heat sources; generally heat pumps, wood burners and flued gas heating are the most economical.
Want more help? Book a home assessment for solutions to create a warmer, energy efficient home. Shop instore (EcoCentre, Forresters Lane, off Tory St, Wellington, open Mon-Sat 9.30-4.30), or online at sustaintrust.org.nz.
Sustainability Trust provides advice and sells products which result in drier, healthier homes and reduce impact on the environment. All profits are invested in award-winning community programmes that empower everyone to live more sustainably.